Today is the second day and first recipe day in our 3 Course Valentine's Dinner for Two! Don't know what I'm talking about, then just click that link and check it out. Today's recipe will be the first course and it's a good one my friends. Like I said yesterday this recipe is a very good copy cat for Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana. Trust me, I would know since I worked there for 4 years. Alright let's get started and head into my kitchen to make...
Gather ingredients and cookware.
Tear kale into bite size pieces til you have about 1/2 cup.
Boil water for potatoes.
Thinly slice red potatoes with skin.
Add potatoes to water. Boil for 15 minutes or until tender.
*Quick Tip* Place a wooden spoon over pot and the water will not boil over!
Drain potatoes and set aside.
Heat large pot on medium-high heat and add sausage and onion.
Break sausage into tiny pieces and brown. Drain any fat.
Add 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1/8 teaspoon salt, chopped onion, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup skim milk, and 1 cup half-and-half.
Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Stirring every few minutes or so.
This is what the soup should look like after simmering for 30 minutes. Taste it and add seasonings as needed.
Add potatoes and kale to pot.
Mix together. If consistency is too thick for your liking, add 1/4 cup chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Well we made it through our first course and I say that seems pretty easy so far! Tomorrow we will be moving on to the main course... Stuffed Steak Bundles and Roasted Broccoli!
Sausage & Potato Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Total time: 1 hour
1/2 cup kale
2 whole red potatoes
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup half-and-half
Medium sauce pot
Small cutting board
1. Tear kale into bite size pieces until you have about 1/2 cup. Set aside.
2. In a medium sauce pot, boil water for potatoes. Slice potatoes thin with skin still on. Add potatoes to boiling water and boil for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. Chop onion.
4. In a large pot, brown 1/2 pound sausage and onion over medium-high heat and break into tiny pieces. Drain any fat.
5. Add 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup skim milk, and 1 cup half-and-half. Simmer on low for 30 minutes.
6. Taste and add seasonings as needed.
7. Add potatoes and kale. If consistency is too thick, add 1/4 cup chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from: The Pioneer Woman