I think I'm on an Asian Cuisine kick lately. Well that probably has to do with the fact that Isaac loves exotic tasting food which makes finding dishes he'll actually eat quite hard. I would say this dish is a happy medium between Isaac's and mine palates. This dish has a good balance of spicy and salty plus the added bonus of being absolutely delicious! Ok, let's head on into the kitchen to make...
Spicy Chicken & Cashews
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Total time: 25 minutes
3/4 lb chicken breasts or tenderloins
1 tbsp cooking sherry
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 green onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup cashews, salted
Toasted sesame seeds
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
Small cutting board
Large cutting board
1. Mince garlic and slice green onions.
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season with pepper and seasoning salt.
3. Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce with the cooking sherry in a medium sized bowl. Add chicken to mix, combine well, and set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch, 4 tsp sugar, and 2 tsp vinegar. Set aside.
5. Drain chicken in a colander to remove as much of the marinade as possible.
6. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a wok on medium-high heat. Add 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and garlic. Stir for about a minute.
7. Add chicken and cook until golden about 5-7 minutes.
8. Add 1/2 cup cashews and stir to combine.
9. Move wok off heat and pour in sauce while stirring continuously until everything is cover in sauce. The sauce should thicken quite a bit, but if you it thicker put it back on medium heat for about 5-10 seconds and stir constantly. If it becomes too thick, add 1/4 cup water and stir until you get the desired consistency.
10. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and green onion on top. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Adapted from: MommaChelle Blog
1. Gather ingredients
2. Mince garlic
3. Slice green onions
4. Cut chicken into bite size pieces
5. Season chicken with pepper and seasoning salt
6. Combine 1 tbsp soy sauce and cooking sherry.
7. Add chicken to mixture and combine well.
8. Whisk 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch, 4 tsp sugar, and 2 tsp vinegar
9. Until blended well
10. Drain chicken in colander
11. Heat 1/4 cup oil in wok on medium-high heat
12. Add 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and garlic. Stir for about a minute.
13. Add chicken
14. Cook until done or about 5-7 minutes
(oops burnt the garlic and red pepper!)
15. Add 1/2 cup cashews and stir to combine
16. Move wok off heat and pour in sauce while stirring continuously.
17. If you want the sauce to be thicker like this, put the wok back on medium heat for about 5-10 seconds stirring constantly. If it becomes too thick, add 1/4 cup water and stir until you get the desired consistency.
18. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and green onion on top. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Seriously, looooove this recipe. I'm so glad I found it on Pinterest which led me to MommaChelle's blog. I hope you give it a try! Let me know how it turns out down below in the comments!
What's your favorite Asian cuisine?
Parties I link up to: A Diamond in the Stuff Rae Gun Ramblings Vintage Gwen Southern Lovely 504 Main Romance on a Dime Someday Crafts The Mandatory Mooch The Shabby Creek Cottage Living Better Together Tatertots and Jello Whipperberry